Food Worker Cards
Testing Center Hours SRHD's computer kiosks will be open:
Mondays, Thursdays and Fridays – 9:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
All food employees in Spokane County who handle unwrapped foods or beverages are required to hold a current Washington State Food Worker Card (WAC 246-217). Food worker cards are $10.00.
To obtain a card, you must take a course and successfully complete a test covering the course material. Courses and tests are available in eight languages: English, Spanish, Korean, Russian, Mandarin, Cantonese, Vietnamese, and Cambodian.
Option 1: Come to the Spokane Regional Health District (SRHD).
- Take the class, the test, and pay for your card at SRHD. We are located at 1101 W. College Ave., Spokane.
- Computer kiosks are available in Room 402 (4th floor) Mondays, Thursdays and Fridays – 9:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- You will need a photo ID and payment of $10.00. Payment can be made with Visa, MasterCard, or Discover credit cards, cash, debit or money orders. Personal checks will not be accepted. Payments will now be taken at our Central Receipting area located on the main floor.
- Testing area rules (pdf)
Option 2: Do everything online.
- Take the class, the test, and pay for your card online. You will print your card after successful completion of the test.
- You must be able to make payment by credit or debit card and you must be connected to a printer.
- If you qualify for a 3-year or 5-year card but did not obtain your current card using the online program, read these FAQs (pdf) before you get started.
- Once you’re ready, start here: Food Worker Card - Online Class & Test
Option 3: Take the class and the test online – pay for & pick up your card at SRHD.
- This option (or Option 1) should be used if you do not have a credit or debit card available for payment, or the ability to print a card. This is also a good option if you want to renew your card for 3 or 5 years and did not obtain your current card online. FAQs (pdf)
- Take the online class and test and stop once you have taken and passed the test, and before you make payment online.
- Bring your photo ID and payment of $10.00 to SRHD, Room 402 (4th floor) Mondays, Thursdays and Fridays – 9:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. – and we will print your card for you.
- Start here: Food Worker Card - Online Class & Test